October Meeting Notes

  • by

Toast: Since today is the German American Heritage day and the October meeting we have a German toast tonight, “Oans” (one), “Zwoa” (two), “drei” (three), “g’suffa” (drink), “prost” (cheers)!!!

Guest/New Members: 3 Guest, 1 new member, 25 members.

Who is brewing? Club total: 855 bu’s. 5 people spoke about brewing in the last month.

Events:

9/1 Sept Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm

9/11 BJCP exam @ Stovall’s Office

9/11 BJCP After Party @ The Brew Shop

9/18 SAV Brewery tour 11am-7pm

9/22 28th Anniversary Toast @ O’Connell’s Pub 6pm

10/2 Fest’ovall Oktoberfest Stammtisch 5pm

10/6 Oct Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm

10/16 Marshall’s Memorial Bottle Share @ White Whale Craft Ales 9pm $20

10/23 Macon Beer Fest

11/3 Nov Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm (SBL Elections)

11/6 Learn To Homebrew Day @ Coastal Empire Beer Company

11/20 COC: O’Dark 30 Competition / Nov Stammtisch

12/1 Dec Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm

12/4 Dec Stammtisch @ Wilson’s

12/12 MRBC Holiday Party

1/5/22 Jan Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm

1/? Jan Stammtisch @ TJ’s

2/2 Feb Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm

2/5 Domras Cup @ John W. Stevens Wetland Center

6/22/22-6/25/22 National Homebrew Conference Pittsburgh, PA

New Business:

  • BJCP Exam 9/11: 7 people are currently sitting for the exam with 3 more possibly being added at the last minute. 3 new judges, 3 judges testing for the next BJCP rank. After party occurred with the leftover BJCP class leftovers which were a lot.
  • SAV Brewery Tour 9/18: We had 3 people drop but we have 3 people on the waiting list (Josh B., Chris M., David H.). How many people have paid up?
  • Handing out COC ribbons: postponed to Nov meeting.
  • COC: O’Dark 30 competition site is up and registration is open.
  • Domras Cup competition site needs to be set up with. 250 entries, 3 entries per house hold.
  • COC: Beer Beauty Pageant: entry 1 keg 5 bu’s, any style, any abv. 2/5/22 at Domras.
  • SBL November Elections: President and Secretary will be open for nominations in October and elections in November as per the Bylaws Article V.
    • Roger, Chandler, Chris Pye have been nominated
    • Any other nominations can be given to the President or presented at the Nov meeting for the election.
  • Tripka: SBL to be a sponsor of Michigan Mead Cup 2021 category. $40 cost. Motion to support presented, voted, and approved. Tripka contacting Sandy to figure out how to pay.
  • MRBD is a 20 year sponsor of the SBL. Service award in work.
  • Zymurgy Article: Assigned to Merideth. TJ to reach out to Buddiemeir and get info where he left off and contacts. David. to support if we need assistance with AHA contacts.
  • Learn to Homebrew day 11/6 12pm at Coastal Empire Beer Company. 5 people have volunteered to brew for the event. The Brew Shop to cover the cost of recipes for the event.
  • National Homebrew Con is going to be in Pittsburgh this year so SBL should participate and produce around 15 kegs for club and hospitality night.
  • SBL 2022 May Europe Trip: England to France bus trip with many stops in between. Roughly $1700 not including airfare. Already have about 25 people. More details in Jan meeting.
  • 12/12 Moon River will be holding their Holiday Party. SBL is invited. More details to come.

Old Business:

  • Sample Glassware Orders: See Chandler. $12 a 4 pack.
  • SBL to purchase a few (2-3) brewing books for the SBL library. Still waiting to hear back on which books Henry ordered for us. Books are being shipped.
  • Sonja: can you look into getting a date for Butterducks Winery tour?

Competitions:

11/20 COC: O’Dark 30 November Stammtisch at Scott’s house

2/5 Domras Cup

2/5 Beer Beauty Pageant

Stammtisch:

Nov – 11/20 Scott’s O’Dark 30

Dec – Wilson’s Christmas Stammtisch

Jan – TJ’s New Year Stammtisch

Feb – open/Domras?

March – Roger

April – Kyle/Jerry

Upcoming Group Brew Day:

10/15 Pumpkin Brew Day @ TJ’s 8am

11/6 Learn To Homebrew Day (LTHD) @ Coastal Empire Beer Company

Barrel Committee: (Gene, Vince, Scott, James):

  • Barrel Project #5: Use same barrel from barrel project #4. Going to be the final beer in this barrel so we will do a Old Bruin beer. 
    • Do we have a recipe? Yes, Cherry Old Brun. Vince to bring to the Nov meeting.
    • Did we relocate the barrel? Not yet, this week.
  • Barrel Project #6: Vince to procure a new reused barrel from habersham beverage. Expecting procurement around Jan.

Tech Talk: none

Open Discussion: none