Toast: “You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer” – Frank Zappa
Guest/New Members: 27 members present.
Who is brewing? 2021: 125.5 bu’s
- 1/6/21 January Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 1/16/21 January Stammtisch @ TJ & Julie’s house 5:00pm
- 1/23/21 Domras Cup Sorting/Session 1 @ Wilson’s 12pm
- 2/3/21 Feb Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 2/6/21 Domras Cup Session 3 @ Captain Butler’s on Whitemarsh Island 8:00am
- 2/17/21 – 3/3/21 Registration & Payment for National Homebrew Competition
- 3/3/21 BJCP: BEER Study Group @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 3/3/21 March Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 3/29/21 – 4/9/21 Shipping Window for National Homebrew Competition
- 4/7/21 April Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 4/26/21 – 5/2/21 National Homebrew Competition @ Denver Colorado
- 5/1/21 Big Brew Day for National Homebrew Day @ Moon River Brewing Company 12pm
- 5/5/21 (Cinco de Mayo) May Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 6/?/21 COC: Mid-Year Beer Competition
- 6/17/21 – 6/19/21 Homebrew Conference @ San Diego, CA
- 7/12/22 ReBrew Event (rescheduled for 2022)
- New Year, time to renew your annual dues. Please see Gene the Treasure to provide payment.
- Chris Martin to pick up the SBL Bar from Coastal’s lobby storage room for storage.
- Need a volunteer to pick up Swag bag donations from Split Fin on Friday.
- Scott to pick up swag bag donations from Bee-Town along with the extra bottles and judge sheets.
- Beer Beauty Contest at the Domras Cup. An entry is a single keg of beer, any style, and any gravity. Bring cash to Domras and vote with your dollars for the best Bear Beauty entry. Money raised will be donated to the local Ronald McDonald House.
- Jonathan is interested in doing a real Ginger Ale beer and is looking to see if anyone has done one before. If you have reach out to him.
- SBL is looking for some spent barrels to break up and make hand crafted awards from. If you have some please let us know.
- SBL Glassware: Steve M. to pick his up from James at Domras.
- TJ has checked with our glassware vendor and have identified some taster sample glassware. We will look deeper into this after Domras Cup.
- Have you visited the SBL library? Go check it out.
- Several members are interested in testing for the BJCP Beer exam. Stovall to start classes after Domras in March. Stovall: Water, Boucher: Yeast.
- 2/6/21 Domras Cup @ location Captain Butler’s Whitemarsh Island
- 2/6/21 Beer Beauty Contest (less than 6%)
- 2/27/21 PSBO (Peach State Brew Off, Atlanta)
- 3/20/21 Funky or Fresh Team Homebrew competition (North Charleston)
- April IPA Beauty Contest @ The Brew Shop – TBD
- June Mid-Year Beer Competition – Location TBD
- 6/26/21 1-5pm Suwanee, GA Suwanee BeerFest – Homebrew Competition
- Feb – Domras 2/6/21
- 3/27 – Tom H. Tybee House
- April – Henry @ The Brew Shop
- May (a.k.a Mayday) – ?
Upcoming Group Brew Day:
- None scheduled
Barrel Committee: (Gene, Vince, Scott, James)
- Barrel Project #3: Braggot. Scott and Vince how is the barrel going? Still waiting to put the batch to make it in the barrel.
- Barrel Project #4: Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa powder. SBL filled the barrel on 12/13. We will start sampling it to see if we need to pull the beer in Feb. Sample performed at Domras and the consensus was that the beer was still very sweet and needed another month in the barrel.
- Barrel Project #5: Use same barrel from barrel project #4. Going to be the final beer in this barrel so we will do a sour beer.
- TJ is looking for a broken down barrel to make an award from.
Tech Talk: Brew House Efficiency (Chandler)