“May the winds of fortune sail you.
May you sail a gentle sea.
May it always be the other guy.
Who says ‘this drink’s on me.’”
Guest/New Members: We had 24 members, 1 online, and 1 guest in attendance.
Who is brewing? 176 bu’s brewed in 2021.
- 2/3 Feb Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 2/6 Domras Cup Session 3 @ Captain Butler’s on Whitemarsh Island 8:00am
- 2/17 – 3/3/21 Registration & Payment for National Homebrew Competition
- 3/3 BJCP: BEER Study Group @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 3/3 March Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 3/24 BJCP: Ingredients (Session 5&6) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6:30pm
- 3/27 March Stammtisch @ Tom H. house on Tybee 3pm
- 3/29 – 4/9/21 Shipping Window for National Homebrew Competition
- 4/7 BJCP: Ingredients (Session 11) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 4/7 April Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 4/? April Stammtisch @ The Brew Shop
- 4/21 BJCP: Ingredients/Process (Session 7&8) @ Split Fin Brewing 6:30pm
- 4/24 Colonial Cup @ Hobcaw Brewing Company Mt. Pleasant, SC 8am
- 4/26 – 5/2/21 National Homebrew Competition @ Denver Colorado
- 5/1 Big Brew Day for National Homebrew Day @ Moon River Brewing Company 12pm
- Please pay your dues. After tonight we will be removing people from the FB group. Please see Gene the Treasure to provide payment or pay on line.
- Domras recap: Thank to all who volunteered. We judged 135 entries in 3 sessions in 3 days. We placed 4th among all the clubs that competed. See more Domras Cup results. We should have Domras ribbons shipped out in the next week. The BJCP judging report has been filed for this competition.
- Chris M.: two Honorable Mentions: (1) Spice, Herb, & Veg and (1) Experimental
- Tony P.: 2nd Fruit & Spice
- Andrew S.: 2nd Braggot
- Beer Beauty Contest at the Domras Cup recap: Stovall won with a wunderbar marzen. 6 beers on tap that raised $289 for our local Ronald McDonald house. The BJCP judging report has been filed for this competition. The club voted to raise this amount to $300.
- Thank you to Service Brewing for providing a stave for SBL to create into a club award. Plan is to have one big award for display and then a smaller replica award given out to the winner. Moon River has offered a spot in their tap room wall to display the award. The award will be for the competitor of the year award. An award committee (Henry S., Jeremy Bo., Chandler T., Chris S.) has been set and will determine the guidelines for how the award points will be calculated. The committee will lay out the guidelines for the award at the next meeting.
- Big Brew Day is scheduled for 5/1 at Moon River in the Bier Garden and at Split Fin 12pm. We will be looking for volunteers to brew at both locations.
- We require a new Web Master. Our previous Web Master is not returning to his role. So we require a member to step forward who understands web servers, has a personal web server, or is in the IT business. If we can’t find a volunteer, then we will have to pay for a web server for 3 websites. Please contact us if you can assist. A committee has been set up (Chris P., Scott B., David L., TJ C., Gene., James.,) to approve a direction forward for SBL digital media. Solution to be presented at the 5/1 meeting.
- Club Only Competition (COC) circuit: With SHA suspending their awards yet for another year. I would like to make a proposal about converting the COC into a COC circuit that the COC website tracks and manages. I believe we can do this easily by managing the BCEOM software to do this for us. Each event would be a judging session. So to date 2021 we have the Beer Beauty contest, mid-year, and O’Dark 30. Doing this allows us to add a beauty contest during the year to beef up the circuit as we want such as what we spoke about last meeting on adding a beauty contest in April for The Brew Shop stammtisch.
- Neil D. has requested the clubs permission to use SBL materials in setting up a local homebrew club, Bear Valley Springs Brewers League (BVSBL), in Bear Valley Springs, CA. The motion was approved.
- SBL Glassware: Wilson to ship SBL glassware to Steve M. TJ picked up Brian’s glassware for delivery.
- Pushing Sample Glassware orders till 2nd half of 2021.
- 3/20/21 Funky or Fresh Team Homebrew competition (North Charleston)
- April IPA Beauty Contest @ The Brew Shop – TBD
- LCL’s Colonial Cup 4/24 @ Hobcow Brewing in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Registration 3/14 thru 4/9.
- June Mid-Year Beer Competition – Location TBD
- 6/26/21 1-5pm Suwanee, GA Suwanee BeerFest – Homebrew Competition
- 3/27 – Tom H. @ Tybee House 3pm
- April Taxman Stammtisch – Henry @ The Brew Shop
- May Day Stammtisch – ?
Upcoming Group Brew Day:
- 5/1 12pm Big Brew Day @ Moon River and Split Fin
Barrel Committee: (Gene, Vince, Scott, James)
- Barrel Project #3: Braggot. Still waiting to put the batch to make it in the barrel.
- Barrel Project #4: Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa powder. SBL filled the barrel on 12/13. Committee voted to pull the batch from the barrel on ????.
- Barrel Project #5: Use same barrel from barrel project #4. Going to be the final beer in this barrel so we will do a sour beer.
Tech Talk: none, ran out of time.