“We know it is true that we’re wicked,
That our criminal laws are lax;
But here’s to punishment for the man
Who invented the income tax”
Guest/New Members: New: Beth R., Jerry D., Joe H., Austin Ta. 27 people in total.
Who is brewing? 267.75 bu’s brewed in 2021.
- 3/3 BJCP: BEER Study Group @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 3/3 March Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 3/24 BJCP: Ingredients (Session 5&6) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6:30pm
- 3/27 March Stammtisch @ Tom H. house on Tybee 3pm
- 4/7 BJCP: Ingredients (Session 11) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 4/7 April Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 4/9/21 Shipping Window ends for National Homebrew Competition
- 4/21 BJCP: Ingredients/Process (Session 7&8) @ Split Fin Brewing 6pm
- 4/24 April Stammtisch @ The Brew Shop 12pm
- 4/24 Colonial Cup @ Hobcaw Brewing Company Mt. Pleasant, SC 8am
- 4/26 – 5/2/21 National Homebrew Competition @ Denver Colorado
- 5/1 Big Brew Day for National Homebrew Day @ Moon River Brewing Company 12pm
- 5/5 BJCP: Process (Session 12) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- 5/5 May Monthly meeting @ Moon River Brewing Company 7:30pm
- 5/12 BJCP: Process (Session 9&10) @ Moon River Brewing Company 6pm
- Handed out ribbons for O’Dark 30 to (1st) Vince, (2nd) Scott, and (3rd) Austin. Two Domras
- Debellation Brewing Company grand opening on 4/9 4 pm in Richmond Hill, GA.
- Yes there is an interest in a Butter Ducks winery visit in Effingham. Sonja to discuss with Butter Ducks and try to schedule it for around May or June timeframe.
- Competitor/Club Member of the year award (Henry S., Jeremy Bo., Chandler T., Chris S.): Secretary to be responsible for managing the points and the brewing totals for a calendar year.
- Pass the BJCP 2021 online/tasting exam: 4 points
- Host a tech talk or BJCP class: 1 point
- Record your brewing with the club. Every brew day gets 1 point.
- Judge in a competition: 2 points
- Steward in a competition: 1 points
- BOS: 5 points
- 1st place: 4 points
- 2nd place: 3 points
- 3rd place: 2 points
- Honorable Mention: 1 point
- Be a SBL Officer (President, Secretary, Treasurer, Registrar, Head Judge): 3 points
- Attending SBL events (via sign in sheet): 1 point
- Submitting an entry for competition (self-reported): 1 point
- NHC multiplier x2
- SHA Brewer/Cider/Mead Maker of the Year Award: 5 points
- Club Only Competition (COC) circuit: With the findings from the Competitor/member of the year award, the points to be awarded for various things, puts the BCEOM software in a position that it cannot automatically manage the points for the year, as we spoke about last meeting. So these points will have to be managed via a manual club managed spreadsheet. The SBL COC circuit will continue as expected.
- Big Brew Day is scheduled for 5/1 at Moon River in the Bier Garden and at Split Fin 12pm. We will be looking for volunteers to brew at both locations.
- Moon River: Stovall, Kyle, Henry
- Split Fin: TJ, Tom H., Beth R., Cheryl
- Those brewing at Split Fin should notify Jeremy at Split Fin the beer style and he will have treated water specifically for your beer recipe.
- Webmaster Committee (Chris P., Scott B., David L., TJ C., Gene., James.,): BCEOM competition site was approved and assigned to the developers management for $65 a year. Chris W. expressed interest in continuing to host the SBL websites. None of the committee members objected. I reached out to Chris W., and I am waiting on a response. Kyle P. listed as the backup Webmaster. Final Solution to be presented at the 5/1 meeting.
- SBL Glassware: Wilson to ship SBL glassware to Steve M.
- Pushing Sample Glassware orders till 2nd half of 2021. Chandler will be SBL rep for this.
- April 24th 12pm IPA Beauty Contest @ The Brew Shop – TBD
- LCL’s Colonial Cup 4/24 @ Hobcow Brewing in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Registration closed.
- June Mid-Year Beer Competition – Location TBD
- 6/26/21 1-5pm Suwanee, GA Suwanee BeerFest – Homebrew Competition
- SHA: CBM’s US Open 8/11
- CASK (Jacksonville, FL) First Coast Cup in Aug
- April 24th 12pm Taxman Stammtisch – Henry @ The Brew Shop
- May Day Stammtisch – Scott
- June Stammtisch – Vince
Upcoming Group Brew Day:
- 5/1 12pm Big Brew Day @ Moon River and Split Fin
Barrel Committee: (Gene, Vince, Scott, James)
- Barrel Project #3: Braggot. Still waiting to put the batch to make it in the barrel. Barrel is in Scotts garage.
- Barrel Project #4: Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa powder. SBL filled the barrel on 12/13. Committee voted to pull the batch from the barrel on 3/28. The barrel is somewhat empty (sludge in the bottom) but it needs to be drained and treated for Barrel Project #5. James and Henry to get together and prep the barrel for Barrel Project #5.
- Barrel Project #5: Use same barrel from barrel project #4. Going to be the final beer in this barrel so we will do a Flanders, Lambic, Old Brun, or sour beer.
Tech Talk: none
- Chandler is giving away free mystery hop rhizomes. These rhizomes are double their size from the ones you would purchase online.
- The club has 5 lbs of Savannah Bee Wildflower Honey to give away. Henry has some wildflower honey to giveaway too. So look for The Brew Shop and SBL to join and host a Honey Give-a-way event probably around June.
- Festovall 10/2
- Uber Open Lemoncello only competition 8/21