Toast: “To Moon River! May your service be quick, your memory be long, and the food be filling. Skol!
Guest/New Members: 3 new, 2 guest, 21 members
Who is brewing? 699.75 bu’s this year
7/7 July Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm
7/14 BJCP: Off Flavor Recap @ MRBC 6pm
7/17 Honey Giveaway @ The Brew Shop
7/24 July Stammtisch @ Jonathan’s
8/4 BJCP: Recipe Formulation @ MRBC 6pm
8/4 Aug Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm
8/7 COC: Mead Day Comp @ Bee-Town 5pm-8pm
8/14 Midday in the Beer Garden @ MRBC 11am-3pm
8/15 SBL Deadline for online BJCP test
8/18 BJCP class at MRBC 6-9pm, COC Brew Off or Screw Off
8/28 COC: Uber Open @ Stovall’s 11am
9/1 Sept Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm
9/11 BJCP exam @ Stovall’s
9/18 28th Anniversary/ SAV Brewery tour 11am-7pm
10/2 Fest’ovall Oktoberfest Stammtisch 5pm
10/6 Oct Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm
10/9 Charleston Beer Fest @ Riverfront Park 1pm
10/23 COC: O’Dark 30 Competition
11/3 Nov Monthly Meeting @ MRBC 7:30pm (SBL Elections)
11/6 Learn To Homebrew Day @ TBD
?/? Butter Ducks Winery visit TBD (Sonja)
- Competitor of the year award (Henry S., Jeremy Bo., Chandler T., Chris S.): Sonja is the points manager. If you need to self report a win or submission for entry, please send an email to [email protected]. All COC results will be automatically reported.
- COC: Mead Day competition at Bee-Town 8/7 5pm: no website registration, meads must be in by 5:30pm, any mead style, any abv. Canceled, only 2 entries.
- COC: Brew Off or Screw Off competition to be held on 8/18 at MRBC. When and where are we hosting this comp? How many entered? 5 or 6 people. 3 bottles per entry. Bring your own sample glasses.
- COC: Uber Open V (Lemoncello Only) at Stovalls on 8/21 11am. COC competition site to be set up for this competition. One 12 oz bottle per entry. 3 entries per brewer/house hold.
- Hand out COC Mid-Year Ribbons:
- 1st – Vince Becker – Am. Light Lager
- 2nd – Vince Becker – IPA
- 3rd – Jonathan Eckles – American Lager
- 14 Volunteers for the Midday in the Garden Beerfest (8/14). SBL will have a table with brochures and stickers. Volunteers are to arrive at MRBC at 9:30am to help set up. The event is from 11:00am to 3:00pm. If you need to purchase tickets you can do so through MRBC and use a special QA/SBL Club code to receive a discount. More details to come as we get closer to this date.
- 8/15 deadline for BJCP online exam. After 8/15 SBL will have to fill any seats left with people from outside the club.
- Frank dropped a security deposit and reservation for 2/5/2022 at the Wetlands Center in Richmond Hill.
- Sample Glassware: Chandler will have glassware for sale: 30 sets, 120 glasses, $12 set/$3 ea glass sold. SBL will purchase the extras and sell out right. Please bring cash to purchase sample glassware.
- SBL to purchase a few (2-3) brewing books for the SBL library. Still waiting to hear back on which books Henry ordered for us.
- Jim Highland Service Award: Wilson informed the club of how the service award worked. Jim was a tall guy but was soft spoken. He quietly volunteered for various SBL events over the years. He really supported the club without asking for recognition. After Jim passed away, SBL wanted to honor him and his service to the club and hoped to inspire others to do the same.Yearly a board of members would assemble to determine who among the members best resembled Jim’s quiet dedication to service. A consensus would be reached and 1 person would be awarded the Jim Highland Service Award. This award hasn’t been awarded in a few years but since there has been a revitalization of producing awards for the members of SBL we are looking to bring back this award.
- SBL Brewery Tour 9/18 11am-7pm. SBL put up $600 from the general fund to cover the tour. Members to cover the rest at $22 a seat ($500). SBL has already paid the upfront cost for the entire trip ($1100). Still need to contact locations and notify Kelly Tours of schedule to finalize plans. There is only 1 open seat left. We will be putting forth a waiting list to ensure we fill the bus.
- 11am pick up at Coastal
- 11am New Realm for lunch (pick up/drop off in square)
- 1pm pick up and go to Southbound
- 2:30pm pick up and go to Hop Atomica
- 4pm pick up and go to Two Tides
- 5:30pm drop off at Coastal
- Charleston Beerfest tour bus $1400. Charter canceled, too expensive. If people are interested, we recommend carpooling.
- Sonja’s update on the ButterDucks winery visit in Effingham. Sonja to discuss with Butter Ducks and try to schedule it for around May or June timeframe. Move event to fall so members don’t melt
COC: Mead Day 8/7
SHA: CBM’s US Open 8/11
COC: Brew Off or Screw Off 8/18
COC: Uber Open Lemoncello only 8/28
COC: O’Dark 30 10/23?
Aug 7 Mead Day – Tripka @ Bee-Town
Sept – 9/11 BJCP exam post party @ The Brew Shop
Oct 2th – Stovall
Nov – Scott
Dec – Wilson
Jan – TJ
Upcoming Group Brew Day:
11/6 Learn To Homebrew Day (LTHD) @ TBD
Gene provided an outline of the treasury report and budget over the last 2-3 years.
Barrel Committee: (Gene, Vince, Scott, James):
- Barrel Project X: Braggot. Still waiting to put the batch to make it in the barrel. Barrel is in Scotts garage.
- Barrel Project #4: Russian Imperial Stout with cocoa powder is kegged and the barrel is empty. Before we prep the barrel for Barrel Project #5, we will need a recipe. This recipe development is in the works. Will present the final recipe at the August meeting.
- Barrel Project #5: Use same barrel from barrel project #4. Going to be the final beer in this barrel so we will do a Flanders, Lambic, Old Brun, or sour beer. First of many sour beers?
Tech Talk: none
Open Discussion: none